Saturday, March 28, 2009

Chapter 8: TPCK in arts education

While I am the first to admit that I didn’t go to all of the sites listed in this article, I appreciate that the author did some research and names sites where teachers can find resources utilizing arts education. My only gripe about having a plethora of websites is the way they were listed. It would be more user friendly to have this information in list form. Lots of the websites are fabulous.

I like that the author believes that arts should be integrated across subjects. As an English Language Arts teacher, I try to integrate art or discussions connecting literary works to art in my classes regularly

This chapter was one of the best in the text. Because we live in rural Maine, access to famous works of art can be limited. There are immense access and equity issues when it comes to art in Maine Schools. That being said, in Maine there are programs available via Colby College and The Farnsworth that help teachers bring students to the works of art at their sites. Although there is really nothing like looking at actual works to really understand the depth, breadth, or sheer size; looking at the actual works is not always an option. The internet can open the world of art to our students in ways that were once inconceivable. You can go to the Louvre or MOMA (and many other art museums) without leaving your classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Most chapters have been fairly dull as far as resources are concerned, but I loved the resources mentioned in this chapter. The resources the Art team noted in class were great. The interactive MOMA site is fabulous as is the Farnsworth. The Farnsworth site is okay, but going there is truly an experience. Julia's gallery (student art across from The Farnsworth) is awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to any museum truly is an experience but sometimes the websites have to be the next best thing. I had not gone to any on line SO I can't wait to do this with my class. We do have limited access to famous works of art. This is a way to have a litte exposure

    ReplyDelete